today i let gracie skip school

Can you blame me?

DSC_0045-1

Yes. That would be Gracie. WITH PAULA DEEN!!!

You may know how Gracie is obsessed with the Food Network. She loves to watch all the shows, she reads cookbook for fun, wants to be a chef when she grows up, etc.

Well, we found out that Paula Deen was coming to do an assembly at Ellie's elementary school so of course I knew I had to take Gracie!  (She was off the wall excited all day and picked put a special outfit to wear to see Paula! It was hysterical!)
Anyway, we snuck out just as it ended to head home to relieve my friend who was watching Colin and who was climbing into her car? Paula!!
Gracie waved to her and Paula rolled down her window to wave back. I said, "Paula, This is Gracie. She loves your show and wants to be a chef when she grows up just like you!"
Well then Ms. Paula Deen won a place in my heart forever.
She said, "Come on over here, Darlin'! I just love that you want to be a chef! You can do it if you want to, Sweet Pea!! Come stand by me and let your mama take a picture of us!"
(Her manager was telling her they needed to go and she said, "You just hold on a minute, I need to get a picture with this little girl.")
She gave a big smile for the camera and reached out and patted Gracie's head and told her, "Aunt Paula says you can do it if you want to!! Bye, Darlin'!!"

She could have kept that tinted window up and driven away. Instead she took a few minutes to make my little girl's YEAR. Gracie is beside herself. She came home wanting to cook, so she could practice being a chef.

All I have to say is: Paula Deen, you are one class act. I cannot even tell you what that small moment meant to my little Gracie. And to me. Thank you!!

About Melissa

Melissa is founder of Girlymama and co-founder of the mom fashion blog, All Things Chic. You can also find her designing blogs at Eliza Grace Design and on Twitter as Melissa Angert.

Comments

1. 1
    Alaina says:

Awesome! I bet she is beyond thrilled! And that is such a classic picture of Paula Deen too!

2. 2

she was JUST like she is on tv! super nice, hilarious and an absolute
    sweetheart!

3. 3
    Kass says:

So excited for you still!!!!

4. 4
    Kellyn says:

ahhhh…How cool for Gracie!! I love that she did that, that she took the time when so many others wouldn’t have.

5. 5

Awwww. That is just what I needed after the Frigidaire day. I adore Paula Deen. So thrilled to hear she is generous in a low-key way!

6. 6
    Brenda says:

Who you going to meet that is famous next week??? Two weeks in a row now! Way cool….I knew that I liked Paula for a reason…:)

7. 7

How wonderful. What a great role model for Gracie!

8. 8
    Audrey says:

OMG!!! That;s awesome!!!! How amazing.
    xo
    Audrey

9. 9
    Alexandria says:

Aww wow! That is so awesome! I’m a grown-up and would be tickled pink if I got to meet Paula Dean so I can only imagine how Gracie felt!

10. 10
    Christine says:

Gracie is the LUCKIEST girl in the world! I love Paula Deen and I am so beside myself jealous!

11. 11
    Christie says:

That is just awesome. Don’t you love it when your kids’ heroes turn out to be nice and kind in person?

12. 12
    Krista says:

This makes me soooo happy! It seems like more times than not you hear of celebrities giving people the push-off. It’s so nice to know there is actually some celebrities that can spare a few minutes for a child.

13. 13
    Jane says:

I just LOVE hearing stories like this! Congratulations to Gracie, Thank you Paula and Thanks, Mom for letting Gracie take off from school. It was sooooo worth it!

14. 14

what an amazing experience!!! Paula is one of my favs!!!!!
    Stopping by from MomTrends.

15. 15
    Tiffany says:

Woah! That’s incredible! Three cheers for Paula!